The Revival of Simon, the Basketball Player
Game Design Document
by Shi Jiang
This document describes the game The Revival of Simon, the Basketball Player. This game involves 2D side-scrolling, sprite-based animation, render threading etc.
The Revival of Simon, the Basketball Player will be developed for the Windows Platform using the BOX2D, which is developed by Erin Catto. DirectX will be used as the underlying rendering technology. Artwork will be provided by the game developer.
Right after finishing pizzas, noodles, chicken wings and rice, Simon went to play basketball. While he was playing, he never knew his body would be changed forever after today. He was in great pain when he was home. And then, he found out he had appendicitis. He had the surgery in the night; he lost his appendix.
Since Simon stayed home for three weeks, his task is to practice his basketball skills so that he can play as well as before. However, he also needs overcome pizzas, noodles, and chicken wings etc. to become a real basketball player again. Therefore, instead of basketball, he has to throw food, which will be made after collecting the right materials, into the rim to make a goal.
Simon is able to run left and right, and jump up to avoid collecting wrong materials.
There will be basketball stand with different height on his road to becoming a real player. Simon needs to make goal in order to continue this game. To pass a level, he has to have enough scores. Since each kind of food has its own weight, he needs to make the best one, and ingredients will come from behind a stand into him once a stand appears. Since the inventory only holds three items, when Simon has three wrong ingredients, it will deduce scores.
This game will be played using a keyboard. Once started, use the following:
- A - Move Left
- D - Move Right
- W - Jump
- S - Making food
- SPACE - Shoot
- ESC - Pausing the game and presents a pop-up window to the player asking them to continue when they are ready. If a game is not in progress, ESC does nothing.
GRAPHICAL USER INTERFACE
As far as the GUI is concerned, if we consider
- Splash Screen - The splash screen GUI simply presents a game logo and a Start button for the user to press when they are ready to play.
- In-Game Menu - After users press the Start button, we'll have a game menu that allows the player to select from the following options:
- New Game - If chose, a brief scripted sequence is played explaining a little about The Revival of Simon and the back story for the game. While playing the message "Press ESC to Skip" should be displayed at the bottom of the screen. If pressed, the game should immediately start.
- Pause Game - This button is deactivated when a game is not in progress. If pressed, it will produce the same effect as the ESC key.
- Display Controls - If chose, the game will display an info screen that includes a description of all game controls.
- Best Times - If pressed, the game will display an info screen with the fastest times for clearing the level.
- About - If chose, the game will display an info screen with information about the game author.
- Exit - If chose, the game program will exit.
- In-Game GUI - When the game starts, the main character will stand on a start point. By using game control, Simon can move forward and find stands to score. While playing, the following will be displayed at all times:
- Items in the inventory
Once a stand appears, there will be ingredients (AI) coming from behind it. They will be the top layer over all sprites so that the user has better view of what to avoid.
All artwork in the game will be original. The following needs to be created:
- Simon - Seven states are needed for Simon. Each will require animations for:
- Walking Right
- Walking Left
- Jumping Right
- Jumping Left
- Carrying a food(object to shoot)
- Basketball Stand - we will have one high stand and a rim separately so that we can make different highs of basketball stands from them.
- Floor - We will need a walkable surface.
- Ingredients - Each ingredient will have only one state:
- chicken wing(uncooked)
- Food - Each food will have only one state:
- chicken wing